Tuesday, May 27, 2008

V

It appears the weather has finally turned around down here. Though it's supposed to pour tomorrow, we managed to string together 4 nice days in a row. This limbo period kind of weather for some reason seems to be particularly jarring mentally, and I'm always thinking about similar days in the past. One in particular comes a few years back, when a girl I had been hanging out with was on her way over to my apartment. It was nice out, so I sat outside on my car listening to music and waiting for her arrival. As I saw headlights turn onto the street, I sat up, and watched as she pulled up behind my car, and then continued, pinning my legs between her front end and my rear bumper. For some reason she didn't understand why I was angry, which I guess should have been a sign of things to come. The record I was listening to is the post today: "Gentlemen", the stellar fourth LP by the Afghan Whigs. It's a great album from start to finish, but the highlights for me are "When We Two Parted" (New Amsterdams has a good cover of it on "Never You Mind"), and the opening riff of the closing song, "Brother Woodrow/Closing Prayer."


Afghan Whigs - "Gentlemen" (1993)

No comments: